View Single Post
Old June 10, 2014, 11:59 AM   #14
Unlicensed Dremel

Finally, the P-grip thing came in (some shipping problems, too). So first some pics and "stats", then review.

So, I
--Removed sights
--Added scope to top rail with 45 degree offset rings (so that I can cock and un-cock the hammer easily)
--Removed two side P-rails
--Added the separate P-grip thing (with material removal from the rear of the "rail" to make it fit in further / better)
--Added AFG-1 to lower rail
--Wrapped the skeleton buttstock with paracord
--Added a buttstock nylon padded cheekpiece with zippered pouch
--Subbed out a steel thread protector for the crappy plastic one that came with it.

It weighs 4 lbs, 8.0 oz as shown in pics, with everything except for ammo in the pouch. The reason it didn't end up over 5 lbs like I thought it would, is because I subbed out a slightly smaller & lighter scope, and because the p-grip is very light, being all plastic except for the bolt part, rather than metal like I thought it was made from.

This thing would really shine with something like a no-battery Trijicon RMI-DI sight on it, and would obviously be lighter. The plastic "iron" sights that came on it are largely un-usable because you can't get your face down low enough to align with the line of sight, although they would be usable if you could, as they are fully adjustable and nice in that regard other than being plastic.

But hey, lookit, a Marlin 915 Youth, for example, in .22lr is only 4 oz less than this BEFORE any scope, and this is a .22 mag, not .22lr ... so the weight is still the main this going for this rifle. I think it is getting close to the perfect backpacking / long-trek subsistence rifle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 10th, 2014 004.jpg (219.4 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg June 10th, 2014 003.jpg (232.9 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg June 10th, 2014 002.jpg (233.0 KB, 760 views)

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; June 10, 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Page generated in 0.04063 seconds with 9 queries