View Single Post
Old May 31, 2009, 02:39 PM   #2
dipper

Just some suggestions.

I would be my own " sub contractor " ..... that is I would not pick any one gunsmith to build my complete rifle.

USUALLY, notice I said usually, you will not find a smith that is best at or very capable of completing an entire rifle.
You will have some that do great chambering and fitting, great metal work and great stock work but VERY few will excel at everything.

I have found it true that if you pick one smith to do the metal work, another to do the stock work, and another for engraving etc. you will get a much better rifle.

This is how many top quality rifles are built, a team effort by a number of top notch artists in their prospective fields...and truth be known, many smiths "farm out" various operations anyway----and the buyer will be unaware of it.

I have had some experience with different custom rifle builders....not my rifles, but others I have handled and worked on.
One had a drop dead beautiful walnut stock...nicely fitted and finished, but the chambering and metal work were horrible....and it was a high dollar rifle done by a famous stock maker....it wouldn't shoot worth the crap but was very pretty.

Just the opposite on another....great chambering and metal work, horrid stock work....rifle would not shoot worth crap, I bedded it in a old ugly stock I had laying around and it shot like a house afire.

I would suggest starting with a search for an "accuracy or benchrest smith"
one who has a RECORD of producing accurate rifles and has the equipment and knowledge to properly fit and chamber an action.
I would choose the action I want my rifle built around 1st and then seek out the smith that is KNOWN for knowing his way around that action.
Any good top quality barrel maker should do for barrel choice but your smith will of course have suggestions.
Same with stock work, look around and ask questions.....look at the work of some stock makers and MOST IMPORTANTLY, LOOK AT THE BEDDING WORK!!!
not just how pretty it is on the outside.

Here is a good place to start looking for a smith I guess....I have dealt with a few of these guys and some are top notch for sure:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsmiths.html

For stock work, any of the people that are members of the Custom Gunmakers Guild would be a good place to start....and there are others of course...just google Custom Gun Makers Guild and look around and call a few of the people listed....you'll find lots of help.

Page generated in 0.03297 seconds with 8 queries