Thread: NRA
View Single Post
Old January 21, 2010, 03:03 PM   #5
ClayInTx

Skans said about the same as I am going to say, but I’m still going to say my piece in order to explain why I was once not an NRA member but have changed my mind. I believe there are others who have made the same change.

Many years ago an older gentleman (older than I at the time, anyway) stated that the NRA was the worst enemy a gun owner could have because they had based their agenda on firearms for sport and hunting.

I thought about this and realized he was correct. Each time a bit of gun-control legislation came up the NRA jumped in with the argument that target shooting sportsmen and hunters should be able to continue their sport.

The Second Amendment has nothing to do with sport or hunting. Do you know why it’s in the Bill of Rights? Do you know what Jefferson wrote about the Second Amendment?

We aren’t there yet but the NRA is now a very different organization than it was back then. Its agenda is broader. It’s doing more good for the Second Amendment than it did then.

Several persons have commented that the NRA is willing to compromise on legislation, and that it should not do that. Unfortunately politics requires compromise. Taking an “all or nothing” stance usually results in nothing. A better stance is “all, or some if that’s the best we can do at this time”.

Because of this change in philosophy by the NRA I am now a member and support it as much as I’m able to do so. It’s the best thing we have going for us now.

However, we must be careful. There is an old Chinese proverb which goes: The chicken that raises its head goes to the pot.

Last edited by ClayInTx; January 21, 2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: apostrophe misused

Page generated in 0.03890 seconds with 8 queries