View Single Post
Old October 19, 2000, 09:03 AM   #9
LIProgun

I use a butt cuff to supplement the sidesaddle. I stopped the movement of the cuff by making a small hole in the bottom of the cuff and passing the sling swivel stud through the hole.

With respect, PJR's comment does not make sense to me. During a tactical reload, the object is to keep a firing grip on the weapon. For a right-handed shooter, this means keeping the right hand on the grip, trigger finger alongside the trigger guard or receiver. The left hand is free to take shotshells from the sidesaddle and insert them into the shotgun while the sights remain on target, and the shooting hand remains ready to fire. There is no need to reach across the gun as the weak hand does the reloading.

With the butt cuff, the shooting grip is typically disturbed during a reload. A right handed shooter needs to put the shells on the right side of the buttstock so he can get a cheekweld on the stock. That means one would have to either ackwardly reach back under the gun and use the left hand to extract shells, or disturb the firing grip by using the right hand to remove shells.

The sidesaddle also allows the shotgun to remain in the shoulder pocket, or at least under the arm, when reloading. Using a butt cuff for a tac reload often forces the shooter to move the gun away from the body, reducing the ability to fire while reloading if necessary, or at least slowing the process of getting the gun back into action after reloading.

Page generated in 0.02677 seconds with 8 queries