View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1
deadeyedeadyote

NYS Pistol Permit Application Process

Hey everybody I've been on here for a while now and everyone has been rather helpful; I was wondering who from New York State heard anything about their pistol permit applications since the new law was passed. I did my prints on 8/22/2012 (for Erie County) and I called the Tonawanda PD to see what the status was about a week ago and the cop said "everything's changed after the new law, we don't have any applications here" and seemed like he didn't want to deal with me so I didn't press on...his response wasn't clear and I was just wondering if I should forget about the $200 for all the required courses, photos, processing fees, fingerprints as well as all the trouble I went thru with the NRA class and getting the references, not to mention the two certificates of disposition. The lady who took my prints said it would take 8-18 months, and now its been close to 7. I also had an arrest to disclose with an affidavit from the NYPD, which looks shady on my part, but the circumstances regarding the arrest were even more shady on their part which is why the case went away. I also got treatment in high school from a rehab facility (I was a mischievous one), that is listed under the NYS Mental Hygiene Dept, but I went in under my own free will. I couldn't join the military for the mental health stuff, but I was still allowed to buy a shotgun and rifle without any problems.

Since my situation is detailed above, I was wondering if I should just forget about this whole thing, like as if I never submitted the application, and just be positively surprised if I ever manage to just hear back from Erie County/Tonawanda PD/Albany? From the cop's response on the phone, it sounds like I'd be lucky just to get a verdict let alone be authorized to hold a restricted permit. I was wondering if there were others out there going thru this ordeal, what county you're applying through and how it's working out for you. Any assistance/horror stories would be deeply appreciated; I have no idea where I stand and the future of my permit application seems to be on pause as my application is probably laying with a pile of others somewhere in Albany collecting dust and cobwebs. Thanks and good luck fellow applicants!

Page generated in 0.03571 seconds with 8 queries