Thread: Home Defense ?
View Single Post
Old October 6, 2005, 12:32 PM   #23
leadcounsel

Unless you have zero emotional attachment to your dogs and your bank account, I think it unwise to train them to be aggressive protectors of your home. Yes, train them to be alert and bark at unfamiliar people, but also train them to be friendly.

1) Barking dogs keep intruders out, it's a fact
2) However, a determined intruder will easily disable your dog and possibly kill it. He can give it treats or even treats laced with poison. He can give it treats and stab it in the throat or shoot it.
3) Due to the legal climate of dogowner lawsuits for vicious dogs in America, you could very well face criminal and civil prosecution if your dog bites, mauls, or kills an innocent, namely a child. The dog will also be destroyed.

If a criminal broke into my house, my dog might bark and might scare him away. However, he also might not bark and might go up to the BG and try to play with him. My dog is friendly and it would be unnecessary to kill him. Of course a BG may or may not, but my dog would give zero reason to be killed and only the most inhumane person would kill him because he's so friendly.

Barking and alert dogs = good idea
Vicious dogs = bad idea

Page generated in 0.02158 seconds with 8 queries