View Single Post
Old January 8, 2014, 03:52 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

Florida SB 0438; new bill to allow warning shots....

The Florida State Assembly has a new bill; SB488 that will allow armed citizens & W/concealed license holders to fire "warning shots" in lethal force events & not face formal criminal charges.
A few elected officials in Florida support this bill because of the recent high profile incident in NE Florida. A woman fired a warning shot at her husband during a domestic dispute. Reportedly, she ran into a garage, got a loaded handgun, told her husband to back off & fired a single round into the wall of the house. The couple then continued to fight & the male was shot.
The woman now has a new trial pending.

I, for one, do not support this new bill. I think there is a strong chance it will be used by many Florida residents to fire a gun during a road rage event or fight then claim they were threatened.
Some want this new law to be a part of Florida's "Stand Your Ground" laws. I'm not sure how the bill will address things like injuries caused by a stray bullet or any civil actions involved in a lethal force event.
Florida security officers(G license) & others who carry firearms IAW their jobs(PIs, bodyguards, etc) can not fire warning shots at all. FS493.
That to me is prudent because guns should be for lethal force only.

Recently, a young mother armed with a handgun shot several "warning shots" at a registered sex offender who was going near her kids. The felon ran away & to my knowledge the woman was not charged by law enforcement. I can understand the gun owner/mom's concern but shooting a gun off in public isn't safe or practical.

Page generated in 0.03729 seconds with 8 queries