View Single Post
Old February 17, 2006, 10:25 PM   #6
Jack O'Conner

My brother and I shared a Remington .243 slide action for a decade. Many Wyoming mulies have fallen to our well placed bullets. Minimum is a term which means nothing to a hunter standing over a dead deer. The term has no relevency to success.

We have tried many ammo brands and bullet weights. I like Black Hills Ammo featuring Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip for antelope and 95 grain Nosler Partition for mule deer. The Partition is a genuine all-the-way-through the deer bullet. I've never recovered a single bullet. Always a good sized exit hole.

Most of our shots are fired at 225 yards or less. Typically, it is late morning and the buck is either snoozing or nibbling on sage. We wait for broadside presentation whenever we can as this will destroy both lungs in an instant. Hunters who say unkind things about this cartridge are typically woodsmen who have had a bad experience with penetration at forest distances. This can be avoided with the Nosler Partition or Hornady Interlock bullet. Or a woodsman should follow historical predictability and choose a slower, heavier bullet with plenty of exposed lead. Several good forest and foothill cartridges come to mind.

The biggest mulie my brother ever toppled fell to single 100 grain bullet from a box of bargain priced PMP ammo. This ammo comes from South Africa and is hard to find these days. But 5 years ago, a box went for $8.99. Accurasy was quite good.

In summary, I have found the .243 to be a deadly cartridge for even the largest mulie. Thickness of chest wall is nearly identical whether 160 lb. doe or 275 lb. big buck. These animals are not armor-plated.
Good hunting to you.
Jack

Page generated in 0.02322 seconds with 8 queries