View Single Post
Old August 27, 2000, 06:43 PM   #8
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Thanks again, RR, for the kind words.
It is true that jacketed round DO wear out a bbl quicker than cast ones, but by how much I cannot say. I've never done it! I do rigorously clean my weapons and bbls after firing. If it remains a concern to you as it kind of has me, you might try what I now do with practically ALL my handgun handloads: I spray the bullets with moly. The kind I have found to bond best with bullet metal is Midway. You will note higher velocity for the same powder charge; at least I have in .357 mag and 9mm. I've tried this in several pistol calibers and several loads within each caliber. I've noted no improvement or degredation of group size out to 25 yards which is about my max distance for any kind of precision as my eyes grow older. I KNOW this is the case at 15 yards.

Examples:

9mm: 124 gr Hornady XTP over 6 gr Unique gives an average velocity of 1243 ft/sec from BHP with std factory bbl. The same load except for the bullet being moly'ed gives 1285 ft/sec.

.357 Mag: 125 gr Hornady XTP over 12 gr Blue Dot gives 1521 ft/sec and moly'ed, 1578 ft/sec.

I do note much less fouling in the bbl when using moly and that which is there comes out pretty easily, more so than when no moly is used. Be sure to really clean the bbl if you use moly as there can be some fouling beneath the moly deposited after the fouling was applied. Best.

Page generated in 0.03249 seconds with 8 queries