View Single Post
Old September 18, 2013, 01:06 AM   #23
340 Weatherby

15 years of dove shooting in Mexico taught me a lot about .410's and effective loads. We had a lot of birds and a lot of opportunity to experiment. What my Son said about the three inch shells is true, and they aren't necessary at all. Would you guys go hunt any other bird with a shell under 1200 FPS. I've settled on the sporting clays loads because they just flat out work for me. Everybody is welcome to their own opinion of course. And what works in a small sunflower field on private property, back east, isn't the same as shooting somewhere where Dove hunting is a popular sport. The birds are going to be higher, generally and a lot more wary. My .410 Citori is choked IC and Modified and has killed literally hundreds of dove. One thing I might caution you on is giving a kid a .410 single shot and sending him out into a Dove field is pretty tough. He may get frustrated in a big hurry. I know because it happened to me. Your looking to have a hunting partner for life so give him a reasonable chance. A twenty gauge youth model pump is a cheap investment if your looking to have a future hunting buddy. If you think I'm wrong I suggest you shoot that single shot on opening day and see how you do. A twenty-eight is really the ticket for a kid, but the price of guns and shells put it out of reach

Page generated in 0.03854 seconds with 8 queries