View Single Post
Old July 16, 2010, 05:37 AM   #70
threegun

Quote:
Let's see, BG is advancing on you with knife. You pull your gun (at what distance ?). Then you hesitate (how long ? 1/2 second ?) Then you check to see if he dropped his knife, turned and ran. How long this analysis take ? (another 1/2 second ?) OK now 1 second has passed. The advancing bad guy has not dropped his knife and fled, but is now has covered how much ground ? (20 feet ?) Hmmm I think you are history.
It is entirely possible to disengage after the draw and before dropping the hammer.

I had a situation years ago that forced me to respond. I have posted it before but it is very relevant here. I manage a pawnshop. We open carry in this shop. One day Microgunner and myself were passing time and talking guns (as usual). Our front door buzzer indicated someone coming in. I look to my right and see this man wearing a trench coat walk in (mind you that this is Fla and it wasn't cold). He begins to make a b line for microgunner completely oblivious to my presence. About halfway through the store and to Micro's position he reaches under the left breast of his coat (were shoulder holstered firearms are kept) and begins to pull a firearm from it. My reaction was instantaneous. From the moment he reached under his coat I began to draw my firearm (my draw was about 1/2 second back then from a snapped holster). As I raised my Glock 20 and began to climb his legs toward the firing position his gun appeared from beneath the coat. I remember how big it appeared to me. As I began to press the trigger while still climbing this guys body I suddenly realized that the firearm being pulled was in fact a crossman bb/pellet/dart gun made to resemble a 1911. I released the trigger and microgunner proceeded to ream this guy a new arse and tossed him from the store.

Microgunner said that the guy said he wanted to pawn the bb gun as he pulled AND THEN POINTED IT at him. I didn't hear or don't really remember hearing anything. I got tunnel vision also.

The point is I made several decisions in the span of 1/2 second. I even remember telling myself to find the front sight and commenting or thinking in my head how skinny this guy was and how easy it would be to miss and how microgunner was going to be shot if I did.

There is no doubt in my mind that as you draw and without delay of any kind, you can make the decision to ceasefire. Had I not recognized the gun as a BBgun the nano second it was exposed I would have fired once the G20 had leveled on the Bad Guys shoulder. I saw the large charging toggles as it began to clear the coat but before it was completely exposed or pointed at micro and was able to stop.

In the knife scenario quoted above if the bad guy complied before you pulled the trigger then stop pulling the trigger. If he doesn't then don't stop its really not rocket science. This nonsense about 1/2 second this 1/2 second that is pure BS. You will be surprised at how many decisions you can make in that draw time.

Page generated in 0.02569 seconds with 8 queries