View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 08:52 PM   #15
wpsdlrg

It is VERY possible that this bullet was, in fact, a "bounce back" (that bounced back from the berm/ back stop). This is a lot more common than many suppose.

I once had a jacketed 38 spl. bullet do exactly this, at a local indoor range. The bullet bounced off the back stop, flew back and impacted the rear wall (behind the shooting stations) and dropped to the floor. I found it on the floor, about a foot from the back wall, during one of the breaks. I know that it was MY bullet because (beside the fact that it was the same type I was shooting that day) it had a peculiar dent at the edge of the base....and I almost didn't load it....so I immediately recognized it from memory. The sum total of the damage to the bullet (other than the aforementioned dent in the base and the rifling marks)....was a small dent on the edge of the meplat. The trajectory was obvious upon inspection - the bullet flew from my shooting station (the muzzle of my revolver) to the back stop, came back past my left knee and impacted the back wall.

I still have the bullet.

So, you see, it certainly CAN happen - and the bullet not being badly damaged is NOT necessarily a disqualifying factor.

Edit: By the way, I found that I still have the photos I took of this bullet.....so here they are :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bounceback1.jpg (72.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Bounceback2.jpg (59.7 KB, 10 views)

Page generated in 0.02520 seconds with 9 queries