View Single Post
Old April 9, 2011, 09:26 PM   #10
ScottieG59

Combat Drills

I have experience in the Army in the world of combat preparation than I ever could in the civilian world. It helped me when I went into combat zones, but I am not sure it fully applies in the civilian world. In the Army, we rehearsed for many scenarios, many of which I never had to deal with. Some of the other things, I did face.

When I deployed into a hazardous duty area, I accepted the possibility I may not survive it and applied my profession to the best of my ability. I think if I allowed myself to see the risks and how it would impact my family, it would have been too distracting and it would have undermined my mission and maybe my safety.

It is sort of like when I raced cars and motorcycles, sometimes on the street and sometimes on a proper track. Eventually, I confined my racing to the track. I did the preparation in great detail and considered the possible disasters that could occur. I accepted the risk and applied my craft. One track has a high speed straight with a tight series of turns at the end. It felt like I was threading a needle a mile away. The concentration I needed to make it at full speed was very high. All other thoughts were pushed from my consciousness. My ability was not made during show time; it was made in the preparation and drills in formal training and practice.

I think the combat drill would work. Basically, we are looking at a high stakes sport called survival. I do not wish to sound glib, but if you allow the weight of the event rest on your shoulders, it will crush you. Clearly, the game is played by rules, but this is all part of the preparation.

One final thing I will note is that in all my years of carrying weapons openly, people almost never have feared me or or what I could do. You should never count on your opponent fearing you or your weapon.

Page generated in 0.02242 seconds with 8 queries