View Single Post
Old January 23, 2009, 08:13 AM   #1
BlueTrain

Ranges in George Washington National Forest

I mentioned in another thread that you could shoot at ranges in George Washington National Forest. I have never done that and in fact have never been to any such range. But I believe there are two located somewhere within the National Forest. Has anyone here done so? What are you allowed to shoot?

The thing is, G.W.National Forest runs almost the entire length of Virginia, which makes the southern end perhaps 300 miles from where I live. Chances are, the ranges are located further rather than nearer.

I believe there is also a public range somewhere in Maryland not far from Washington, DC, though I suspect it may be for Maryland residents and in any case, from where I live in (very liberal) Fairfax County, Front Royal is closer than Greenbelt.

I think that it would really be better to join a club, like the IW League, for shooting, but my shooting of rifles has always been limited and sporatic since my father passed away. That's where I used to go to shoot. It was free but the longest practical range was only about 75 yards. Not much for a rifle but at least I found out it was a long way for a .44 revolver. I haven't shot a rifle since then.

Private ranges are scarce, too. There is the NRA range in (very liberal) Fairfax County, just down the road from here, and of course, Clark Brothers, which makes for an extremely interesting outing. I believe I could buy stuff there with our Confederate money but we're holding on to our bonds.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02472 seconds with 8 queries