View Single Post
Old October 8, 2008, 01:57 PM   #15
zippy13

V e n t i n g
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonrevolution
Skeet shooting and possibly Turkey hunting, but primarily skeet.
IMHO, an Ithaca M-37 is a poor choice for Skeet. It's fine as a repeater, but the nature of it's loading procedure makes it cumbersome for shooting single shots. There are only 4-pairs of doubles per round of Skeet. The additional time and effort required for loading may frustrate you and annoy your squad mates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonrevolution
Can you explain what the vent actually does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattergun Bob
It's job is to provide a better and more comfortable sighting plane on a scattergun. I spent so many years squished down on a stock with a plane bead sight, it takes me awhile to adjust to a rib. It is a better deal,you will like it!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
The rib assist in aiming (pointing for a shootgun) wheather you need one or not depends on what you are use too.
Scattergun Bob and Kraig accurately described the basic purpose of a rib; but, they missed the "vent" part.
Originally, ribs were solid, and they provided the same benefits as Bob and Kraig mentioned. The problem with solid ribs is heating, with intense shooting (like a championship shoot-off*) and/or hot weather, heat waves from a hot barrel and solid rib can distort your view of the target. "Venting" the rib supposedly reduces this problem.
*Talk about hot guns:
At the NSSA World Championships, the 250 target 12-gauge event is shot as two 125 target events over two days. Typically, several shooters will have perfect 250x250 scores and they shoot-off to determine the winner. The 1968 World Championship was no different, and it finally came down to AL Buntrock and Tommy Heffron going one-on-one for the title. After going 1050 targets without a miss (that's 42 perfect rounds of Skeet), due to time considerations and fatigued officials, it was decided to have co-champions.

Page generated in 0.03579 seconds with 8 queries