View Single Post
Old February 28, 2013, 05:13 PM   #16
tahunua001

brinker,
just because it has a rock island barrel does not mean that the reciever is also a rock island. even though it's in bad shape, it's still pretty easy to make out that this was a springfield armory built receiver. a 1918 barrel means nothing, just because a rifle was used in WWII does not mean that it HAD to be rebarreled at the end of WWII. depending on who it was issued to it could have been fired 10,000 times or 20 times. also since all rifles were US property, it was illegal for soldiers to keep their arms, if this rifle really did belong to the OPs grandfather it would not have been relinquished back to the government to be refitted and therefore would still have the barrel that it entered the war with. a 1918 barrel would fit that theory. even if OPs old man bought this at Sears in the 50s because 'he carried one just like it in the war' there is still no guarantee that it would have been rebarreled following it's EAOS.

OP I'm not that much of an expert, D4 on the body is above my paygrade so to speak. is there anything underneath the bolt handle where the handle meets the bolt body?

also, a bit of an afterthought. now that I am looking at it, your stock has quite a sheen to it, is that clear coat or is it just a well oiled stock? oil is fine, clear coat hurts value a little.

Page generated in 0.02314 seconds with 8 queries