View Single Post
Old March 9, 2009, 10:55 AM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

Rather than train for "double-taps" or "Mozambique", etc., I prefer to set up falling steel plates (usually poppers) so that they are particularly stiff and then just shoot them until they fall down.

This tends to be helpful as far as training your reaction to be "I shoot until target goes away." It also is helpful in that hits higher on the popper tend to have better leverage and are more likely to make it fall (much like a center mass/head hit is likely to be more effective than a shot to the leg). Finally you get to learn to do target assessment even while you are shooting.

The results of this kind of practice can be pretty entertaining. I've personally shot a popper set for rifle calibers about 20yds away and knocked it down with a single round of 9mm. I've also had the other extreme where I dumped an entire 17 round magazine into a popper from 5yds and it just stood there staring blankly back at me and still standing as I changed mags.

Practice wise, I like it because once you can execute the basics of weapon manipulation safely, what you really need to be able to do is be able to think on your feet while executing the weapon manipulations on "automatic." Poppers are good for this because they add a certain element of uncertainty to training.

Personally, I think once you get past basic, safe, weapons manipulation, better reactive targets are much more useful to training than 100 more rounds of ammo at a paper target.

Page generated in 0.03642 seconds with 8 queries