View Single Post
Old January 28, 2012, 08:07 PM   #12
tahunua001

ok lets take this a different direction. for years alligator hunters in the bayou have used 22lr to hunt(in some cases without even sights). if you would have asked me a year ago what the smallest round capable of taking an aligator I would have said 30-06 until I watched the show "swamp people" on the history channel, these people not only hunt gators with 22s but they do it with HUGE success. my family successfully hunted mule deer with 22LRs for years. I dont feel comfortable with that round so I go a couple notches up the ladder to .223 and still have people tell me that I am "obligated to use a larger round" and that I am an unethical hunter. a the fact is that a 223 can kill a deer and a polar bear,a 30-30 can kill a black bear, a 243 can kill an elk, a 270 can kill a grizzly, moose, and bison.

whether a hunter has the skills to use these rounds effectively is where the water gets murky and everyone gets divided into caliber wars. I bought a 300 weatherby mag because I didn't feel comfortable hunting elk and black bear with a 243, that decision had nothing to do with the round but rather with my own confidence with my abilities with that round. not everyone has the money to go out and get that heavier rifle with ultra expensive ammo and for the guys that say to "start reloading" not everyone has the money to go buy a reloading bench and all the manuals to go with it. if you are poor and need cheap meat and a surefire place of getting an elk but all you have is a .257, I would heavily recommend that you get the heaviest bullet for that gun and be picky about what shots you take but to say that someone is obligated to use a heavier round is just like saying I'm obligated to buy a ford 150 if I want to do some landscaping work because my dodge dakota is a marginal vehicle for the job.

Page generated in 0.02067 seconds with 8 queries