View Single Post
Old February 10, 2013, 03:12 AM   #20
jolly1

Why not to reconsider your inventory, and make investement to purchase something else.
I am speaking of black powder.

First, if you take black powder rifle / revolver you are more like to hystoric trip which you are planning to undertake.

Secondly, in many states you will have longer hunting season, if you are looking for possibilities to hunt while "on the road".

Thirdly, less legal problems with authorities if you have black powder fire arms.

Black powder guns have great stopping power (if speaking for SD), and they have been succesfuly used in hunting. BP decimated buffalos, for example.

Which BP guns to take?

For self defense: Take Percusion Remington 1858, cal 44, with at least two spare cylinders.
The reason for this, the cylinders are easy to change if you carry a spare one loaded. Much more handy then colt percussion.

Rifles for hunting: Sharps 1859, Sharps 1863 sporting, or Sharps carbine.
Or, Hawken Mountain rifle, muzzleloader - the one Jeremiah Johnson had in a movie with Robert redford. And, of course some double barreled BP shotgun for small game.

Or take some of more modern in-line BP guns. But if I were you I would go fully traditional in a style: "My rifle, my pony and me".
I envy you for the trip.

Page generated in 0.02649 seconds with 8 queries