View Single Post
Old January 15, 2007, 10:25 PM   #16
liliysdad

Brazil, by Imbel.

Quote:
As I understand, the Taurus Company manufactures all the parts that goes into it's own 1911. That translates to lower production costs, not lower quality. Nothing is farmed out. All Taurus's work is all "done in house." By comparison, Kimber buys it's parts from outside sources. And so, more time has to be spent fitting the various parts to get a kimber to work. Taurus is about as close to a totally blue printed, large scale produced 1911 as you'll find. I wouldn't be too quick to snub a Taurus fellas, the darn thing works. And works well.
Im going to have to politely disagree.

The reason Taurus is building the parts in house is not to reduce costs while retaining the same quality. In my opnion, they are doing this in order to produce the absolute lowest acceptable quality part that will work. In the several that I have torn down and examined, the parts seem quite subpar. Rough machining and poor fitment abound. The finish is horrid, and weak, and the frontstrap checkering is embarrasing.

While I feel that this gun is a viable choice over the likes of the Charles Daly level of guns, they are not competitive with Springfield and Kimber, which in their own right are not high end guns.

Page generated in 0.02251 seconds with 8 queries