View Single Post
Old July 11, 2014, 10:10 PM   #11
barnbwt

Quote:
To someone from New York city, that's rural.
A NY'er might not call Colorado Springs "a big city," but they would at least refer to it as a town. I fully expect Bloomberg truly had no idea there were any significant towns in those districts because "his people" all hail from entrenched urban populations that would never have deposed them the way the country and city folk of Colorado did to those two. Bloomberg is a smart man, but he is blinded by stereotypes as we all are, and I'm sure he thought that the recall victory itself was indicative of the locals being a bunch of gun-totin', bare-foot, cousin-kissin' yahoos. No civilized person can deny his logic, after all

When I traveled internationally, people had heard of: New York, Texas, and California, and in that order. NYC was nothing but rich power-brokers, Texas nothing but oil-rich cowboy ranchers and outlaws (seriously), and California nothing but ridiculously good-looking celebrities (who do that for a career)

---------------------------------------
Fair warning, I'm going on a slight tangent here;
I think we need to keep a close eye on Bloomberg, and make darn sure he never goes unopposed, but I think we'll have exponentially less and less to worry about from him going forward. Every radical group has a window of opportunity to plant their flag of victory, and BB blew his on the post-Newtown debacle. Take an extreme, extreme example; Al Qaeda in Iraq, and the resurgent ISIS movement. Both saw early and rapid gain, and found favor with large swaths of the populace with their anti-status-quo message and promises of better results through all. But they were sufficiently rebuffed (the former, at least) for a long enough time that the people were able to see them in action, and saw them for what they were; they had no interest in governing, they just wanted to kill people --and that's not what their supporting populations wanted, so they lost support during the Sunni Awakening where local leaders turned against them. Similarly (or rather, metaphorically) Bloomberg has been revealed to pretty much anyone paying attention to have no intention of reducing violence, gun or otherwise; he wants all civilian guns gone, forever. Only a tiny fraction of the population supports that goal, so he will be frustrated if he tries to direct public opinion from that area.

What we need to do, is continue to show him for what he is; a would be dictator of peoples' lives, a meddler no one would want as a neighbor, fixating for marketing purposes on a single object that is at best a symbol of the broader problems he claims to seek solutions for. When people see that he has no solutions for gun-violence or violence in general, as more and more are daily, and is not even seeking them while promoting his cause, the charlatan will find fewer and fewer marks willing to donate to his cause. MAIG is already hemorrhaging mayors, which is probably as much the cause for this latest "Everytown" incarnation, as anything.

TCB

Page generated in 0.03655 seconds with 8 queries