View Single Post
Old February 18, 2012, 11:20 AM   #16
Sarge

Some folks choose to leave the chamber empty on auto stored around the house, etc. I won't argue that point with them; it is their choice. I stripped duty guns of their chamber load daily when we had small kids in the house.

During that time I noticed a number of rounds, of various calibers, showing early signs of set-back. If it was minor, I tossed them in the 'oddball ammo' can and simply shot them up later. None of them ever failed to fire. If it was pronounced, I threw them in the pond.

When the mag got down a round or two I simply topped it off with new ammo.

I often squeeze the slide lightly, with the thumb and index finger of my weak hand, when chambering a round from the mag. Guess I got started doing this after working on 1911's for decades... it gives me a read on how slick the gun is feeding and I've never had the slide hang out-of-battery.

I can't imagine not knowing if my slide was in battery.

Quote:
The misfired round, which had a full firing pin strike, was collected and was later sent to the manufacturer for analysis. Their analysis showed the following: “.the cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times”. We also sent an additional 2,000 rounds of the Winchester 9mm duty ammunition to the manufacturer. All 2,000 rounds were successfully fired.
IF the primer got hit a good lick, I wonder how you tell that the compound got knocked out of the primer cup by cycling it? Oh well...

Last edited by Sarge; February 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.02822 seconds with 8 queries