View Single Post
Old November 24, 2009, 10:18 AM   #11
cnimrod

"APR stacks the odds against novice hunters" - Amen to Sarge. I also agree strongly with your last point, emphasizing 'points and antlers' Dad taught me and I'm teaching my son every deer is a trophy you work hard for and it's ultimately about putting meat on the table.
I hunt in both NY and NJ and they both have instituted DQM (Deer Quality Management) in certain areas.
I guess the thinking is if you shoot a bigger rack the hunting experience is more enjoyable? and by doing this they'll encourage more hunters? I'm not sure how they decide what areas to enact this. I fortunately have the choice of what areas to hunt. As a 30 year hunter I much more enjoy taking out new hunters and showing them the ropes, and a little early success goes a long way to keeping them interested. My most exciting hunt was taking all day to sneak within shotgun range of a herd of bedded does and taking the biggest one when they stood up. My "buck of a lifetime" 4 years ago was just a dumb luck thing - putting in the hours.
At the check station a few years back young kid came in with the biggest buck we'd ever seen around here. As we left we said -that stinks for him -he just started hunting and shot the biggest buck of his life, now what's he got to look forward to?
I guess hunters hunt for different reasons as for me it's just about trying to be a part of nature. Have fun hunt safe all.

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries