View Single Post
Old October 5, 2009, 03:51 PM   #23
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Let the threat come to you. If you have to shoot do so, but make sure you can see your target.
Exactly. A firearm is a means to help me keep control of my circumstances. The operative word is "control."

If I do room-to-room searches following a noise, I'm having to keep constant 360° situational awareness. That's hard to do when I'm still rubbing the eye boogers out from just waking up

It's much easier to cover a single door with only one axis of potential fire. Like anything, of course, this depends on how and when the situation presents itself.

Now, back to the original topic. If I'm the one calling 911, then I'm still standing, and the threat has abated. The 911 call is not the time for me to make my case for self-defense. I need to tell the dispatcher what the officers can expect when they arrive.

For example:

"There has been a shooting at 123 Happy Flower Court. I am the homeowner. I am uninjured, but [x] individuals have suffered wounds and are in need of medical attention. The situation is under control, and there is no threat to first responders. Please have the officers announce themselves audibly, and I will be waiting in the living room to the right of the front door."

Be wary of adrenaline, as you will be on the verge of panic. Resist the urge to tell anything not strictly relevant to the 911 dispatcher, as there's a good possibility those recordings will be heard in court.

//

Just read MLeake's link, and yow!

Quote:
Needs' nose was broken and his pickup truck, a computer and credit cards were taken.

Four days later, Needs was shot in the hand during a self-defense lesson. A 9 mm pistol went off as one of his sons was loading it.

Page generated in 0.03554 seconds with 8 queries