View Single Post
Old July 6, 2014, 10:45 PM   #1
MoGas1341

Firearms held for ransom!

I have a friend, Dave, that lives outside of Dayton, Ohio... He, in January and February lived with a person as a room-mate. He payed $200 a month for those two months. He then moved out (but left some of his belongings, to include 4 firearms at this person's house) and moved in with his current significant other. I'll save everyone the 'drama' and cut to the chase...

Dave went back on July 1st and collected the rest of his odds and ends, and the former 'landlord/room-mate' says he owes him $800 for rent from March through June. There is no rent/lease agreement...He WAS NOT at any time at that residence from March through present. When he collected his things his former room-mate pute Dave's firearms in his gunsafe and will not give them back.

There was no rental or room-mate agreement signed at any point. He (the room-mate) is essentially holding his firearms hostage until Dave pays him for the months that he was not there...

Is firearm theft not illegal? In Ohio, what are the reprecussions? I am NOT by any means getting into the civil dispute about rent etc, but someone cannot just take firearms for 'collateral', can they? He has the serial numbers etc. What is the legal and proper course of action?

On one hand, I thought firearm theft was a felony (In its own right), but then again I'm sure the rent issue boils into a civil dispute (which I believe should be separate.)

Anyone who is a lawyer or has any experience in a similar situation, I would appreciate the advice so that I may pass it on to him. I could care less about the civil dispute, but taking a man's firearms is unacceptable!

Page generated in 0.02184 seconds with 8 queries