View Single Post
Old January 20, 2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Scorch

Match bullets for rifles are hollow points because it keep the center of mass concentrated towards the geometric center of the projectile, and centered within the bearing surface of the projectile. Spire point bullets generally have the center of mass well ahead of the geometric center of the projectile, and well ahead of the center of the bearing surface due to the long nose of the bullet.
Quote:
do know the hollow cavity improves the sectional density but the tip of the bullet is a leverage point and can easily be thrown off course if it's not perfect. What am I missing?
Sectional density is not affected by bullet design, it is simply the bullet's weight divided by the bore diameter. All bullets of the same weight and caliber will have the same sectional density.

Defects in the nose of the bullet can have a very small effect on accuracy, but even small defects in the base of the bullet will have a large effect on accuracy.
Quote:
It seems that having a hollow cavity at the tip of the bullet would cause turbulence. And if the opening were even a tiny bit off, considering the high velocities, would have a negative effect on the trajectory.
Hollow point/open tip bullets do not cause turbulence, bullets in flight have a cushion of compressed air at the tip. Hollow points/open tips can have an effect on ballistic coefficient due to their profile. If the tip is off-center, it matters not what design the tip is, it will cause the bullet to spiral in flight.
Quote:
I did have some time to experiment with some Hornady A-Max before all this global warming hit. I did pretty well with it out to 200 yards. Do you think the lightweight plastic point, while improving the SD, would also remedy any shortcomings the hollow point may have - or not?
The planet has been warming for the last 100 or so years, due primarily to the cyclic variation in the shape of its orbit. I was not aware that Hornady made the A-Max bullets 100 years ago.

The plastic tip on the bullet serves to protect the tip of the bullet as well as to increase the bullet's BC. The plastic tip has no effect on the bullet's SD.

Page generated in 0.03750 seconds with 8 queries