View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #18
Old Stony

I have been eating black powder smoke for many years and can say I have had respectable success at shooting matches. I have not owned your particular type of firearm, but I have experience with many others. If you will allow me, I would like to offer a few hard learned tips.
Black powder is the best and most easily ignited propellent for these firearms. Substitutes come and go, but basic black just keeps doing what it was designed to do. A load of 3f will handle most needs up through 50 caliber and sometimes larger.
Anyone that uses petroleum bases oils in their bores is asking for problems. Black powder is water soluable and any contact with petroleum products makes for a bad fouling problem. A popular concoction for cleaning them is Windex as it evaporates quickly and does not leave a residue. I mix a little Murphy's Oil soap with it and use this for cleaning and for patch lube. The Murphy's will add a little natural lubrication to your patch.
Using this combination I can fire many shots in a row without cleaning the bore, as the cleaning/patch lube solution will mop some of the fouling out of the bore as you load the next shot.
Fouling in the flash channel is probably the main enemy of consistent ignition. Clean it well after a firing session and use a natural product such as Thompson's Bore Butter to protect from rust. This can be easily cleaned out before the next session and will not lead to more fouling.
There are probably a hundred different opinions out there as to how to make these black powder firearms work right, this is just one of them, and it works for me.

Page generated in 0.03910 seconds with 8 queries