View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013, 12:29 PM   #99
Gaerek

Pathdoc, while I do appreciate your imput, and point of view, you have to understand that the laws that govern the United States, and the British Commonwealth are intrinsically different.

As far as I know, there is no provision in your Constitution for the right to keep and bear arms. In our founding document, we have a right to bear arms. It also has the provision "shall not be infringed." Shall is a legal word. It is not "should," "may," "will," or anything. It means that without a Constitutional amendment, that right cannot be altered or taken away.

Our gun rights have already been slowly eroded to what we have today. Although most gun owners think that the laws we currently have are overbearing, and a governmental overreach, most are still content with the rules we have, and would be more than happy if no new laws were enacted. We'd be happy if current gun laws were enforced the way they are supposed to be, rather than new gun laws (that criminals, and general ne'er-do-wells simply won't follow) be enacted that further endanger our rights.

On a side note, I worked with a British ex-patriot who is now a US citizen. When I asked him why he went through it, he gave me the following response:

"My wife, and the 2nd Amendment, and not particularly in that order."

By the way, you cannot buy new full auto guns anymore. You can still purchase those that were produced prior to 1986, but the cost is going to be likely 10-20x (or more) than what the semiauto version costs. Not to mention, that even before they were effectively banned, they were statistically speaking, used in almost no violent crimes. The East Hollywood shootout is an example of one where they were used. But, in the end, they are very rare.

Page generated in 0.03821 seconds with 8 queries