View Single Post
Old February 21, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3
maillemaker

It's a good deal for the money.

I've reloaded over 1000 rounds of .45 ACP with mine.

My two biggest complaints are the primer feed and the case feed.

With the primer feed, you must keep the primer feed ramp full of primers at all times. It maintains, via gravity, the pressure on the first primer in line to make sure it gets pushed into position properly If the primers bridge in the primer container, then the feed ramp will go dry, and you will have primer feed problems - usually the primer turns sideways and you try to press it in place sideways. The loader has a "jiggler" that engages notches in what of the support uprights that is supposed to wiggle the primer tray for you, but it is not sufficient. I have to give it two or three hard thumps to break lose any bridged primers. I now do this by habit every stroke.

With the case feeder, as your tubes get down to the last 3-4 cases there is not enough downward pressure on the currently-feeding case so that when it hits the aluminum deck it will bounce. When it does, it very often jumps forward a hair, just enough so that on the upstroke the case mouth with catch on the die holder plate, preventing further travel. You have to reach in with your finger and push it back out of the way.

Of course being a 3-station press, crimping and seating are done in the same die. This can be tricky to set up, but it's not overly so, and once you have it set you don't have to mess with it.

Of course there is no way to use a powder cop die so you will have to eyeball each case before you set a bullet on it and make sure it looks like there is the right amount of powder in there.

Even with its faults, you can easily crank out 300 rounds of ammo in an hour or two.

Steve

Page generated in 0.03281 seconds with 8 queries