View Single Post
Old April 7, 2009, 08:20 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

A point of clarification

Fed law protects you while transporting a firearm through areas where it is otherwise illegal to posess it, proivided the gun is legal at your final destination. Unloaded, locked in a case, and not in the passenger compartment (if possible).

I do not know the exact requirements of Illinois law, but if the gun is not legal to own in Illinois, you cannot have it in that state. You can transport it through the state (and you are allowed reasonable stops, for fuel, rest stops, etc.), on your way to somewhere else, but if you are going to be spending time in the state (a few days, for a class), then the Fed law does not fully apply, because Illinois is your destination state.

Here's where you stand, based on the info you gave (and please correct me if I am making incorrect assumptions)

1)Your AR and hi-cap mags are legal to own where you live.
2)They are not legal to own in Illinois (Illinois residents either cannot own them at all, or can only own them with registration)
3)You are not an Illinois resident, so they would not be registered in Illinois (so therefore, illegal to posess in Illinois)
4)You want to take them into Illinois, and attend a class with them, technically "posessing" them in Illinois (which would seem to be a violation of Illinois law, because they/you are not registered)

How are we doing so far?

I would recommend you contact the management of the facility where you want to take the training, and get guidance from them. I would think that this is a situation that they ought to be familiar with. They should be able to both explain and guide you through whatever process is necessary so that no laws are broken.

It may be there is some exemption in Illinois law, allowing for a situation like yours. It may be there is no exemption, and the school will provide Illinois legal equipment. It may be that the school will only allow you to use Illinois legal equipment, which you must provide. It may be something else entirely (but I really can't see what).

The first place you need to go to find out is the school itself. Then, maybe, Illinois law, if the school can't/won't provide a satisfactory answer.

What I can tell you with certainty is that that Fed law protects you for transport, only if your guns/mags are legal in your destination state.

Basically, you need to find out if your gun/mags can be made legal in Illinois, and how to do it. If they cannot, you simply cannot take them there without breaking the law.

Page generated in 0.03506 seconds with 8 queries