View Single Post
Old September 2, 2014, 01:23 PM   #72
BobCat45

Wyosmith,

Yes, I recognize Patrick Henry's speech. We had to memorize it in school and the snippet you posted resonated after more than half a century in my brain, so I looked it up and re-read the whole thing.

There is no question that your analysis is correct, but what course of action do you propose? Henry proposed war - his entire speech was a call to arms, immediate as opposed to "when it gets bad enough" - and I do not think most Americans see the issue as having degenerated to the point that outright immediate rebellion is appropriate.

Pointing out the change in mindset from "Peace Officer" to "Us versus them" is the most effective course of action I see. I do not think that hardware is the issue, I think the adversarial relation between "civilian citizens" and "civil police" is the problem. And I do not see that problem being solved by hysteria in the media or by cop bashing, or taking up sides - except being on the side of reason and (as you point out), historical understanding.

Sorry to ramble so - I resented being forced to memorize all those things then, and now I'm grateful for it.

Page generated in 0.02927 seconds with 8 queries