View Single Post
Old April 6, 2005, 12:07 PM   #10
30Cal

What kind of competition (how big is your target/10-ring) and what would you consider long range? I assume you mean 600yds and more.

I shoot NRA Highpower with an M1A. I trim brass every other firing, uniform all primer pockets and deburr all flash holes. The only time I ever measure individual charges (+/- 0.1grs) is for my 600yd loads--at 200 and 300, any variability in charge weight (+/- 0.3grs) is insignificant considering the size of the target (7" 10-ring). My ability to dope the wind is more limiting than the accuracy of my ammo. I load on a Dillon 550B with standard FL sizing die and a Redding Comp seating die.

I did recently purchase a Harrell powder measure and find that it's not very often that I need to tweak a charge for 600yds (one in 20).

I don't like spending a lot of time at the reloading bench. I want a maximum of points with a minimum of time. You come rather quickly to the realm of diminishing returns where it takes much much more time invested at the bench for a very small gain in points on the firing line. If your targets are smaller, you may need to spend more time than I do.

I got a silver medal and 10 Leg points this past weekend in a CMP EiC match (cleaned my sitting rapid target at 200yds) shooting the M1A and loads as described above. The points that I dropped were my fault, not fliers. 483-10X

Ty

Page generated in 0.02487 seconds with 8 queries