Thread: Spent Bullets
View Single Post
Old April 19, 2012, 09:17 AM   #13
kraigwy

Before I retired from APD, I had a friend that had the contract for maintaining the indoor range of the Fed Building. Part of his job was cleaning the bullet traps.

We got tons of lead, I would just throw the spent bullets in the melting pot I used to make ingots. The trash, dirt and brass would float to the top and I'd dip it out. When its clean, I'd flux it and make ingots.

I never had problems with leading, some yes but easily cleaned up by cleaning the gun after each use.

I'm not one who believes one has to have super hard cast bullets. I've had better results with good lube and I don't shoot my pistol/revolvers at rifle velocities.

As long as the mixture allows me to cast lots by weight, I'm happy.

Now, I don't have access to such indoor ranges but I shoot all winter long in my back yard. Normally come spring and the snow melts I can recover (or my grandkids gather them) my bullets and back into the pot to make more ingots.

I guess when I get to the point where via accuracy I can tell the difference in lead, I'll change, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02624 seconds with 8 queries