View Single Post
Old April 18, 2006, 02:16 PM   #7
MISFIRE

mete,
More details mete. What's the chamfering "bit" you are referring to? I have a whole bunch of drillmotor type chamfering bits. In a drillmotor they have a tendency to chatter. I could maybe use a tap wrench or an old drill chuck to turn one by hand but the bits do not have a pilot. The $100 to Brownells includes a brass, caliber specific, pilot.
My drill press has a Laser centering device. Contemplating chucking up the cylinder on my drill press, centering with the Laser, and turning the spindle by hand... Laser is not accurate enough. By damn I wonder if I could just center the bit on a cylinder in a loose chuck, tighten it down, and turn the spindle by hand? Sounds a bit tricky but, being retired, I've got the time and I enjoy metal work. Any "real" gunsmiths/machinists care to comment/dump on this notion? A new cylinder would probably set me back a bunch more than $100 ( old saying "Penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind ) and maybe result in my GP100 not being as good (excellent) a shooter. Not good!

Page generated in 0.03815 seconds with 8 queries