Thread: I suck.
View Single Post
Old December 8, 2005, 08:17 PM   #1
JKump

I suck.

Yesterday, I went hunting to try and get another deer this year. I have shot two all ready and was trying to kill one for my neighbor and hunting buddy, he has not been able to hunt due to illness this year.
The day seem to be perfect low 50 temp. and over cast. On the way to the property around 3:30 pm, I came up on a doe that was eating on the side of the road. She never moved even when I stopped along side. I took this as a good omen.
As I got to the hunting area (a large field surounded be hardwoodes on three sides and a clear cut of pines on the fourth) I jumped two large body deer about 30 yards from where I park my truck. I got my gear and stalked around trying to catch them in ther field. No luck.
It was 4:05 pm and I knew that the last few times I have hunted the area I have seen deer just after 5:00 pm across an overgrown fence about 40 yards from my stand. None of those deer ever presented a shot due to the briars and weeds on the fence. So I set up today just over the fence, in a clearing in the middle of the briars. I was able to set up one good firing lane over the briars, sprayed cover scent and sat down to wait. Well, I did not have to wait long (about 4:45 pm) I spotted a doe at about 35 yards just moving thru my firing lane. I stood up and was sighting her in thru the scope when it hit me, buck fever, tunnel vision what ever you want to call it, The deer moved out of the clear firing lane with briars and limbs between me and her. I rushed the shot on a moving deer thru a small hole between briars and a tree branch. Of course I MISSED. I know better, I should have grunted to stop her or just look behind her. When I took the shot the doe just stopped and looked at me and then bolted off. I never saw the bigger doe behind her in the clear shooting lane until I fired my rifle. This doe ran past me into some small Pines. I waited about 10 minutes to go and check to confirm that I did miss the first doe. As I went to step out off the briars the second doe had stopped about 40 yards from me and was watching me, all I saw was her turn and flag me as she ran off. Well I guess I learned a good one here, I don't know if not having been able to shoot any thing since the first of November or what, but I got to caught up in it. Perhaps they will be back next week when I might get another chance to hunt the area again.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".

Page generated in 0.02649 seconds with 8 queries