Thread: Jerky Recipes?
View Single Post
Old April 13, 2012, 01:38 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Alright...
I have been working on a few recipes lately. Here, I'll post the recipes for strips. Once I work out the final details for my latest experiment, I'll try to post the burger recipes.

Strips:
The first one is a derivative of Alton Brown's beef jerky recipe:
1.5 to 2 lbs red meat (venison, beef, buffalo, whatever.. as long as it's red)
2/3 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
2/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1 to 2 Tablespoon Honey (exceeding 2 Tbsp makes it too sweet)
2 teaspoon Onion Powder
2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper (I use a "peppercorn medley")
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1 teaspoon Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning (the original recipe calls for 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper)

Slice the meat with the grain, into 1/8" to 1/4" thick strips. Mix everything up, and marinate for 4-6 hours in the refrigerator. When done, lay the strips out on paper towels or a kitchen towels, and pat dry with another towel on top. Dry with your preferred method.

I have been experimenting with Alton's method. It works quite well.
(Follow the link above, and watch the video.)

FrankenMauser's Creole Jerky:
Per lb of meat, cut into 1/8" to 1/4" thick strips or 3/8" cubes
1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/8 Cup Red Cooking Wine (I prefer a Marsala)
3 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (mild spice - even my wife will eat it)
-or 6 teaspoons Creole Seasoning (proper "medium" spice - my wife won't touch it)
-or if you want it "flaming hot", drop back to 4 tsp of Creole Seasoning, but augment it with 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp fresh ground pepper, and 1 tsp crushed red peppers
1 teaspoon Rubbed Sage
2/3 teaspoon Onion Powder
A dash of Liquid Smoke
1 Tablespoon Honey or Corn Syrup (for moisture and mild sweetness alone, use Corn Syrup; for moisture, sweetness, and flavor, use Honey)

Note: The salt in the Creole Seasoning more than makes up for the lack of soy sauce in this recipe. Don't add any soy or any more salt, or you'll regret it.

Marinate 4-8 hours, before dehydrating.
For even more spice, sprinkle with black, white, and red (cayenne) pepper, before starting the dryer/fan/oven/whatever.

FrankenMauser's basic Plains Game treatment:
(Designed for Pronghorn Antelope, but works with any venison - probably beef, too.)
Per lb of meat, cut into 1/8" to 1/4" thick strips
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
1 teaspoon Rubbed Sage
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
dash Celery Salt

Marinate 3-5 hours before dehydrating.
If you have some particularly strong-flavored meat (such as with bucks), soak the meat in a standard brine for 12-24 hours, before marinating. Then, cut the soy to 1/8 cup for the marinade, and marinate for 5+ hours.

Crazy Cajun Limon:
This recipe came from a Creole/Cajun half-breed friend of mine, that makes his living in the Atchafalaya swamp(s). His family developed the recipe for deer, but it is great for Elk, too. It is fairly different from standard recipes, in that it ends up with a mildly tart, very citrusy, yet still teriyaki-ish flavor.

Per lb of meat, cut into 1/8" to 1/4" thick strips
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/8 Cup Lime Juice
1/8 Cup Lemon Juice
1/3 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1-1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Tablespoon Corn Syrup (this is here for moisture retention and mild sweetness - if you want flavor, too, use honey)

Marinate for 4-8 hours, before dehydrating.

FrankenMauser's recipes were developed with Alton Brown's redneck dehydrator:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jerky2.jpg (122.6 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg Jerky1.jpg (93.7 KB, 676 views)

Page generated in 0.03686 seconds with 9 queries