View Single Post
Old June 23, 2012, 12:16 PM   #47
pax

There's no shame in ignorance. It just means there's something you don't know.

There are a lot of things I'm completely ignorant about. These items come in three categories:
  • Things I have neither a need nor a desire to know more about. Rap music, for example; it leaves me cold, I am not interested in improving my knowledge of the genre, and I can foresee no downside to remaining ignorant on the subject.

• Things I will one day know more about whether I want to or not. The human aging process, for example; I will either learn more about that, or I will die before I have a chance to do so.

• Things that I really should learn more about, for my own sake. Business skills, for example; having recently started my own business, I will either learn more about this, or I will suffer for my ignorance in this area.
Medical skills for people interested in self defense fall into that last category, and that was the context in which I said I was astonished at how vigorously people protect their own ignorance. It is truly amazing that so many people would rather run the risk of suffering than suffer the risk of learning! Of course I include myself on this list. It's a very human trait, and I'm as human as anyone else.

Back to the topic at hand, here's an excellent video from the late Paul Gomez. It's been posted before, but it's worth repeating because he was absolutely on target: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6b1v9lcmG0

pax

Page generated in 0.03064 seconds with 8 queries