View Single Post
Old September 15, 2012, 10:11 PM   #25
Gunz

I can jump in here, coming from the manufacturing perspective.

There is Quality, Value, and Price Point. They may appear in the same product, but the expectations of the consumer may or may not be realistic.

Quality:
1. Performs as advertised
2. Exhibits reliabilty , dependability , repeatability
3. Made of good materials, as designed to the Price Point
4. Fit and finish consistent to the Process which delivers the performance of the product at that price point
5. Lasts to realistic life span given its available design, costs of material at time of production, costs of labor, skills of labor, and technology used to make product

Value:
1. The Product looks, performs true to Price paid.
2. If the craftsmanship is consistent or exceeds the Price Point, then the product exhibits exeptional value.
3. If the expectations of the consumer is achieved, given what he paid, and waht he expected, then the value increases
4. If the product benefits from the Tech, the skills available at the time of production, or a special batch of well-priced raw materials in a commodities cycle, then it offers a once-in-a-lifetime super value.

Price Point
1. Products are offered at a price to meet profit margins
2. More Labor hours or more costly materials or more finishing steps requiring more skills always raise the Price
3. At some point, there is ALWAYS diminishing returns for the Manufacturer AND the Consumer

I really like the fact mentioned above that for some poor college kid, a solid Taurus revolver, or something not glamorous, is a great value for the money he gave up to get it.

For those who can afford the SWPC, or Korth, or collector grade Colts, they stand to benefit more from the higher prices paid for that finished product.

I am so fortunate to own good Smiths, Colts, and Freedom Arms. The close tolerances, the accuracy, the movement of the action, the bluing, the balance, are all wonderful to appreciate.

I also own 4 Taurus revolvers which have been accurate, solid, not loose, and looks good enough launching lead and copper. Their resale values are nowhere near the Colts and Smiths. I was also lucky that I never needed to send any of them back. For the price point, I had good quality and value out of those particular revolvers.

I also have good luck with Astra revolvers, too. IN 357 and 44 mag.

Page generated in 0.03315 seconds with 8 queries