View Single Post
Old May 2, 2009, 01:38 PM   #19
Horseman

Quote:
I won't get into calibers since there are just too many variables concerning location, target species, etc. But you said best bolt action so here is my 2 cents.

1) My absolute favorite action is an FN Mauser K98 - great steel, very strong action, comes in long and short and can be chambered for virtually any caliber, very reliable. And many of todays standards were patterend after it. I own 4 of these in various calibers and would never sell them.

2) Pre-64 Remington Mdl 700 - same basic design and strength as the K98. Calibers abound and these can still be had for under $1K if you look.

3) Weatherby Mk V - ranked third only because they still seem to be more expensive than the two above.

4) Remington Mdl 721 - all 721s are pre-64 IIRC. You won't find many of these, but if you do, they're worth having.

I have several rifles in all of the above actions and they are pretty much the only actions I'll ever own. Are some of those mentioned by others better than my choices? Maybe, by why quit a winner? I know I can depend on these, without fail, without question, every time they are needed.
Today 12:06 PM

Alamocdc

I'm sure #2 was meant to be Pre 64 WINCHESTER Model 70.

Page generated in 0.03262 seconds with 8 queries