View Single Post
Old May 14, 2005, 05:37 PM   #14
Oldphart

Well, I might as well sound off too.
As someone a lot smarter than I once said, "It's a poor workman that blames his tools." If YOU are capable of loading good ammo, you'll find a way to do it, whether with a Dillon, a Hornady or a Lee press. I've loaded lots of ammo with a Lee turret press and I seem to find the X-ring often enough to keep me satisfied.
Granted, some other presses and tools are easier to work with, but Lee stuff does the job. The Perfect Powder Measure that comes in the kit is as good a powder dispenser as any I've ever seen, though it isn't as shiny or pretty as some others, it's only about $20 too. Their Safety Powder Scale is accurate enough, it's just unhandy to use and it only goes up to 100 grains. That's fine as long as you're only measuring powder, but if you need to weight a bullet it's not so good.
Their presses aren't polished as well as Dillons but one has to wonder what it costs for all that polish and whether it's worth it. Both Dillon and RCBS have "no questions asked" guarantees but the only thing I've ever broken on my Lee press was the result of my own stupidity and Lee sent me a replacement part for only $5. Not bad in this day of high shipping and handling costs.
If I were shooting a thousand rounds of pistol ammo every week, I'd run-- not walk-- to the nearest Dillon source and get something that would make the job quicker and simpler. As long as I'm loading primarily for rifles and then only a couple of hundred rounds a month, the Lee works fine. It will for you too.

Page generated in 0.02216 seconds with 8 queries