View Single Post
Old May 9, 2001, 05:42 PM   #6
Cheapo

Here's the deal.

In the .30-06 days, Match brass had no primer crimp and was manufactured in special runs, with the machines operating a bit slower, and the result (based on inspections) resulting in brass that was more consistent in weight distribution and more concentric in the neck.

Sorry, I don't know how much.

I have also read that, at least for late 50s/early 60s Frankford Arsenal (FA) brass, the head area/primer pocket was "bumped" in the final finish-forming operation twice, instead of once. The intent and effect was to ensure more perfect formation, with a bit of work-hardening so the casehead was a bit harder and would last longer in reloading.

Yes, military marksmanship units were expected to reload at least some of their brass.

SPECIAL BALL, on the other hand, uses regular old brass. Primer crimp and all, just like NATO spec stuff.

On the firing line, it had a reputation for being noticeably less accurate than traditional "Match" ammo.

Sorry, I've never been able to test this, and have seen no reports of any measured differences in accuracy.

I bought a bunch of M80 ball brass and sorted out the 2/3s of the lot from the middle (calculated +/- 1 standard deviation from the mean weight). Chamfered the flash holes and trimmed 'em, and loads from that brass were right at 2 inches at 200 yards from the bench and using iron sights.

The Special Ball brass will last longer than M855 with that annular ring of longitudinal cuts in the case body.

Page generated in 0.02712 seconds with 8 queries