View Single Post
Old March 6, 2013, 01:01 PM   #22
overhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
Psychologists tells us that we often see and hear what we expect to see and hear. We are all prejudiced in that manner. But prejudices can be overcome.

Just because a tappet spring is pressed down as far as the push rods and rocker arms allow to go doesn't mean it was fully compressed or that it has reached or gone beyond it's design limits.

Similarly, just because a magazine is fully loaded or a slide is locked back doesn't automatically mean that either spring is fully compressed. In the case of some compact or hi-capacity mags, they clearly are pushed ot the springs limits. In the case of some recoil springs, they can't be compressed farther. But isn't the case with every gun, mag, or recoil spring.

Fully compressed is a specific state in which the spring can't be compressed farther. Engineers familiar with metals and spring design tell us that springs that are FULLY compressed and kept in that state (or compressed beyond their design envelope for longer period) will not live as long as springs that aren't worked as hard. Go to the Wolff Spring website and check their FAQ area -- and you'll see that they state that simple fact very clearly.

Better yet, read some of the technical info -- starting with some of the links above -- if you doubt it.
Hi Walt, I was not disagreeing with you. Just as I don't assume a fully loaded magazine's spring is at a "fully compressed" state, I also don't assume that a valve spring is at is "fully compressed" state when in normal operation. Forgive me, as a non-engineer, I may have misused a term. Let me be more clear, if I can. I don't assume a magazine spring is going to be damaged in a compressed state anymore then I assume a valve spring will be damaged by being left in a compressed state.

As far as what a psychologist might recommend, you might want to take that advice yourself, sir

Page generated in 0.04015 seconds with 8 queries