View Single Post
Old February 5, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1
cplane

S&W model 66-2 grip frame work

My nephew traded into a Smith model 66-2 that had a rubber Hogue grip sleeve on it. We took it off to put some original wood back on and to our surprise and horror, the very bottom corner of the grip frame on the rear corner looks to have been notched about 1/4" X 38" ! Why it was done I can only guess !
I am going to tig weld the notch back up and hand file and polish it so some factory grips will fit. I'll use a wet rag wrapped around the hand frame to keep it cooled off while welding on the corner. I'm guessing some 430 SS tig wire or 416 would be the prefered wire to use and it is available in my shop. I'm also stocked with 316L if that would be better. Anyone know for sure what type of stainless this grip frame is made from?
The other alternative was to just hand fit some cheap afterket wood grip panels to it, But I think that would look kind of bastardly. Any opinions here would give me some insight into this job. I think taking the leaf spring out would be a no-brainer, But what else do you think? Thanks!

Page generated in 0.03436 seconds with 8 queries