View Single Post
Old July 21, 2011, 09:57 PM   #24
Osage

Hate to bring up an old thread but I was searching doing a search on reloading for the MN and came across this.

Hope someone can help me with this.
I have two mosins and have had decent accuracy with them using russian milsurp and good accuracy with factory PRVI. I bought the PRVI to start reloading. I slugged the bores of both and came out at .311 on both of them. I bought some 303 caliber speer 150 gr bullets and loaded 5 each at 47, 47.5, 48, 48.5 and 49. Both hodgdon and the Lee manual have the min load at 47 and the max at 50.5 for varget. the 47.5 load was bad and it got worse from there. the poi got lower with each 1/2 grain increase until I was hitting a foot low at 50 yards with 49 grain. I was left scratching my head looking at what had been accurate rifles. Not to waste the day, my son and I began shooting water filled milk jugs at 200 yards with the PRVI ammo I had left. Still though, the guns were shooting low which they had not done before. It was about 98 degrees. Could the temp have that much an impact?

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying 308 bullets and maybe using lighter loads but that would be below the recommended starting point. Something was just off.

Page generated in 0.02458 seconds with 8 queries