View Single Post
Old January 21, 2012, 01:56 AM   #25
NVBigEd

I've been reloading mostly handguns and some 30.06 for about 18 months now after a 30 year layoff. I started with a Lee Classic turret press and had a fair few squib loads with 9mm rounds at first.

I don't believe there was anything wrong with the press, just my ability to use it effectively. So, I removed the turret indexing rod, and used the Lee as a single stage press until just after Christmas as my family bought me a Hornady Lock n Load.

I'm very happy I started with the Lee. It gave me the opportunity to get comfortable and competent enough to actually feel safe using a progressive press. I can now load much faster, but I don't feel I'm pushing the envelope of my abilities either.

I'm planning to keep both presses. I see the Hornady a a "production" machine... Once set up it will crank out some rounds. But for load developement, I'm still the most comfortable with my simple Lee, and loading a a few rounds with varying powders, charges, crimps or bullets, the Lee is still great to use.

But, I'm loving the Hornady.... I loaded 500 9mm, 300 .38 special and 200 .45 ACP in 2 evenings this week after spending the past few weekend setting up the various calibers and tweaking the quick connectors. It's not perfect, but it's an ammo producer !

Page generated in 0.02200 seconds with 8 queries