View Single Post
Old November 21, 2009, 10:58 AM   #22
ilbob

Quote:
The NRA does a lot besides "just play the political game" and they desperately need people to join, but more importantly to volunteer their time.
There are plenty of things that you can do. Become a firearms safety instructor or coach and teach safe shooting. We need more people involved in the shooting sports. A lot of city dwellers never had the chance to go shooting when they were kids so never develop an appreciation for firearms.

Friends of the NRA raises money for projects that are mostly local in nature.

The NRA is big in teaching hunter safety classes (I think they may have originated the first organized hunter safety classes), and in self defense classes. If one of those trips your trigger go that way.

You can become a range safety officer and help new shooters practice their skills safely.

If you really just can't stand the NRA, join another shooting/hunting/self-defense organization and help spread the word to new shooters. USPSA, IDPA, SASS, and CORE come to mind. They all need volunteers to safely run matches and help teach skills to new shooters.

Local gun clubs are another place you can volunteer. I can tell you it is hard to get enough volunteers to keep a gun club running. Help out running matches, or cleaning up, or building a new range. I spend every Tuesday night for 6 months of the year running a bullseye league at my local club. We average probably 10-15 new people every season that come in and shoot a few times. A few join the club, a few come back on a regular basis, most don't. But they got a chance to come shoot in an organized and safe setting, and had some fun.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Page generated in 0.04318 seconds with 8 queries