View Single Post
Old March 10, 2007, 06:40 PM   #11
rrj731

never hunted that far south, just east Texas. In my experience, any deer class bullet will work fine for hogs( my son killed a 300 lb. class boar with a youth model 7, 243 -head shot) it's all about placement. My hunting buddies and I take head shots when we can for 2 reasons, one, there's no meat damaged, but the biggest thing is they don't like to be out in the open so when you shoot one , he's usually very close to or in thick cover and they can run very fast and far mortally wounded, and they don't leave much of a blood trail. So your chance of loosing them goes way up. As for archery, we have found broadheads to be more effective at penetrating the gristle plate of mature boars than center fire rifles up to light 30-06. and they leave a better trail. Don't worry about gistle plates on the average pig, the sows don't have them and only the big boys are so equipt. As stated earlier, aim a little farther forward and you will do fine. Texas has no limmit and no restiction on method- including hunting at night with lights-a very exciting way to do it -just call the gamewarden BEFORE you do it , he won't be happy if he has to get up out of his warm bed at night to find out who's spotlighting and shooting at night! Oh yea, thats from experience too. good luck!

Page generated in 0.05061 seconds with 8 queries