Thread: Neophyte Jargon
View Single Post
Old July 24, 2014, 02:41 PM   #10
jeager106

"Gun= gat, piece, rod, heat, etc."

Languages are always in a state of flux. Our version of the English language
is an amalgumation of languages from almost every part of the world.
People I've met that were raised in other countries speaking other languages have told me that they had a great deal of trouble understanding American English tho they took classes in "english" for 6 years.
One girl visiting from Brazil ( they don't speak Spanish ) was told her American friend had a lead foot, ergo got a speeding ticket.
She thought he had a physical deformity of the foot.

In Brittain the roof of a car is known as a bonnet, & our flashlight is a tourch or electric tourch in Brittain. In Russia to this day a truck is a Studebaker in England it's a lorry.

"Gun" comes from: mid-14c., gunne "an engine of war that throws rocks, arrows or other missiles," probably a shortening of woman's name Gunilda, found in Middle English gonnilde "cannon" and in an Anglo-Latin reference to a specific gun from a 1330 munitions inventory of Windsor Castle ("...una magna balista de cornu quae Domina Gunilda ..."), from Old Norse Gunnhildr, woman's name, from gunnr + hildr, both meaning "war, battle." First element from PIE *gwhen- "to strike, kill" (see bane); for second, see Hilda.
Re: gunnr + hildr, from old Norse. That could be why large breasted ladies are said to have "big guns".
In the U.S. its said about someone that gets shot with a gunne was
shot, blasted, capped, popped, venitlated, etc.
I could cite examples ad nauseum but there isn't space for such a diatribe on etymology.
As part of my college studies I was required to take up studies in communications so learned way more than anyone wants to know about language.
( By the way I did 22.5 years in the mean streets & do understand your, ah, concerns.)
Why to we call a revolver a wheel-gun, a pistol an auto-loader, a shotgun a smoothie and so on?
If we call a revolver a gun & everyone knows and understands what we mean then there is no problem with understanding our casual conversations or writing.
That said when we must write or speak in diplomatic, business, or offcial terms the use of language must be 100% correct.
One who commands the language commands the people.
It worked all too well for Hitler.

Page generated in 0.03367 seconds with 8 queries