View Single Post
Old January 12, 2009, 09:35 AM   #79
JuanCarlos

Did we ever determine whether the officer in question was wearing his Taser on the wrong side, leading to him drawing the gun accidentally? If so, that alone would be an action taken by the officer that would justify a finding of negligence, considering it both led to a death and that this result was foreseeable (hence the policy in the first place).

And that's beside the fact the the drive-stun mode would have been a more appropriate use of the Taser anyway (and presented a much lower risk to the suspect...Tasers being less than lethal, not non-lethal), and would also have prevented this death.

I honestly don't care if he spends any time in prison...I think all the mitigating factors mentioned should definitely be taken into account at sentencing, and I'd be fine with just the conviction. But I don't want to see this guy in another department two towns (or two states) over a year or two from now. He's proven he can't handle the responsibility. Not everybody can.

EDIT: Noting that the above is assuming that there aren't any crazy mitigating factors not shown in the video...which, while possible, does not fit in with any info released thus far since the release of said video. At this point I'm pretty comfortable taking the video at face value, which is to say that this was an entirely accidental shooting.

Last edited by JuanCarlos; January 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM.

Page generated in 0.02533 seconds with 8 queries