View Single Post
Old June 7, 2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Murdock

A little trouble with an AR. Bolt won't lock

I bought a used Lone Star carbine with collapsible stock as a spare back up for my primary carbine. (I'm headed to Thunder Ranch and they recommend a spare).

I replaced the cheapie collapsible stock with an A-1 stock, and used the buffer tube, recoil spring and buffer from an A-2 to do it.

The rifle functions fine except for not locking open on an empty magazine. This fails to occur after the last round is fired, and when manually opening the action.

Switching the A-2 spring and buffer for the carbine spring and buffer didn't work either. I tried the carbine buffer with the rifle spring, and vice versa. No joy.

The buffer slides freely in the tube with the spring removed. The bolt lock operates fully with any magazine I try when I take the upper off the gun.

When I hold the bolt lock in with my thumb when firing the last round, the bolt locks open normally. When I retract the bolt manually, I have to press the release lever pretty hard to lock it open, but the bolt will slam forward if I rotate the rifle 90 degrees, as when inspecting the breech.

This has got to be a simple fix, but I'm not getting anywhere.

Recommendations? I may just take it with me like it is, as it's just the spare and not my primary, but would like to get it straight if I can.

Thanks.

Page generated in 0.02122 seconds with 8 queries